Friday, January 18, 2008

Last Round!

Well winter break is over. I was not ready for classes to start this time. BUT it is my last semester, so I can only complain about it so much before seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It just feels like I have been in school forever.

All I have left is electives. So, I am taking courses which will really challenge me and make me think with a different "hat" on. I will be wearing the Social Work Hat (this is of course my standard hat, it may as well be my hair...), the Theology Hat, the Psychology Hat (I miss this hat. Even though a lot of my courses have been psych related, I love that it is in the course title!), and the Pastoral Hat. . Here is what is on the platter:

Justice and Migration
-
This course is team taught by a PhD. of Ethics from the Theology Department and a Social Work PhD.
The course is focused on the major theoretical approaches to the notion of social justice, major ethical and justice dilemmas related to migration; justice issues related to social work practice, policy, and programs.I am very interested and excited to learn more, but after the first class I left feeling like an idiot! Not only because the Profs. are extremely bright- I realized how much I don't know about migration, both in the U.S. and abroad. Like I said, not something I have thought about to an extent before, so I really feel like this course will expand my knowledge in a new arena.

Spirituality & Psychology of Life Transition
- Offered by the graduate school of Psychology in conjunction with the Institute for Pastoral Studies.
I am very excited about this one! It ended up being a last minute add on due to some chaos with registration procedures. It will be great to have a curriculum that ties in my faith once again.


Social Work with Children
- This is probably self explanatory and sounds much more like what you would expect an MSW student to take. Have a great professor, and looking forward to this class as well.

Oh, I can't forget the beloved Integrative Practice Seminar I have to take every semester... ughh.

So even though my life is now surrendered again to academia for a few more months, I am excited to learn and switch things up a bit! I have a feeling you all may be learning more about these topics if you continue to read my blog....

4 comments:

Eric Olsen said...

Your schedule sounds much more education than mine this semester, which is:

Work
- this course is taught by people superior to me only in terms of age and hierarchy, but does not bring intellectual proficiency into account at all, often leaving me with a residue of brokenness and tears.

FYI, the Justice class sounds great. But, in my experience with those terms of "justice" or "social justice", the solutions proposed always happen to be governmental legislation to "create" justice, rather than an encouragement toward the populace to go and willingly alleviate injustice.

Stacy Peterson said...

Re: Justice. Yes, I agree. But the beauty of Social Work is the ability to personally apply it to my work.I view justice on such a personal level, otherwise it is overwhelming. Throughout my education- from high school,undergrad, to now... the importance of what I do- has been stressed again and again. I understand justice as starting from my personal actions, and finding ways to use my thoughts and actions to advocate for others. If I may quote, "Nothing is going to change in the Congo until you and I figure out what is wrong with the person in the mirror" -Donald Miller-

That being said, I do believe our actions on a larger scale also lend way to justice. Ex. Voting. If I do not vote, I am not lending my voice at all. Even if it is a messy system- better to use my voice then not.

Eric Olsen said...

ok, how 'bout this? I love the organization, Kiva.org. I think microlending is an incredible tool for bringing people out of poverty. And I would LOVE it if everyone gave $25 to contribute to a third-world entreprenuer.

So, let's say I vote for a politician that believes in the power of Kiva as well. And we get a bill passed in this country that provides an equivalent of $25 per American to that organization from federal taxpayer dollars. Is this justice?

I believe that the forced charity of the populace is an injustice. Even though the money is going toward something I considerable extremely worthy of funds, I want the source of the funds to be willing and not mandated.

Does that make sense?

Melissa said...

I.Am.SoJealousofYou.

Wishing you well on the journey of this last semester!

Hope we can get together soon. :)