Monday, February 23, 2009

My Tribute

It has been Black History Month. It still is for another week or so. I wish I could've engaged more, but for right now, without looking back- here is my way of recognizing this time.

Below you will see a few quotes from prominent figures who have inspired me. In some way, these quotes all relate to my current state of mind. Also, I picked quotes that I felt we could all relate to, despite stances on race, politics, or religion. Let us recognize these individuals who, as result of the color of their skin, have had to go un-recognized in the past, and even now. And let us be thankful for the HOPE, that times are changing, and our world is moving to a place where this is becoming less and less of an issue ( day by day) as we recognize our prejudices and move forward with reconcilation and joy.

The following few quotes are from folks who have made great contributions to society, made us all laugh, helped us relate to one another, or all of the above! Happy Black History Month 2009! To start us off, here we go.....the one and only Bill Cosby! (Really, from me, did you expect anything different??? I know I am obsessed :)

"The past is a ghost, the future a dream. All we ever have is now."
- Bill Cosby

"The question is not whether we can afford to invest in every child; it is whether we can afford not to."
-Marian Wright Edelman

"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."
-Michael Jordan

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King

"That . . . man . . . says women can't have as much rights as man, cause Christ wasn't a woman. Where did your Christ come from? . . . From God and a woman. Man had nothing to do with him."
-Sojourner Truth

"My hope for my children must be that they respond to the still, small voice of God in their own hearts."
-Andrew Young

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King, Jr

"I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself. "
-Maya Angelou

"You can cry, ain't no shame in it."
-Will Smith

"When I was a kid, my mother told me that if you could not be a good loser, then there's no way you could be a good winner."
- Halle Berry

"Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand."
-Colin Powell

No comments: