Friday, March 21, 2008

Run for Hope

A year and a half ago I conquered 13.1 miles and finished the Chicago 1/2 Marathon under my goal time. When I crossed the finish line one of the first things I said was, "How do people do this twice!?! There is no way I will ever do a marathon!" Well I guess I just needed some time to let the memory of how hard that race was fade, because I am signed up to run the Bank of America Chicago Marathon this October. (Maybe its kind of like when women give birth and say I will never have another child.. OK, not THAT painful...)

Actually, we are both signed up! My hubby surprised me one evening a few weeks ago when he said, "You know, I think we should sign up for the Marathon. It would be something good for us to work towards together." Jon is a wonderful husband and I was deeply appreciative of his gesture- but let's be honest- he's not big into running. He can do it, and he has, but he also doesn't particularly love it. If he actually follows the training plan, it is likely he could finish the race faster (I hate boys for this reason..) ...but I think he is also smart enough not to let that happen :) He knows I get competitive and this might not be the best marriage builder.

We are very excited to be running for a great cause! We are running as a part of Children's Hope International's Team. (Where I have been interning) The team's goal is to raise $10,000. If you are interested in joining our team or sponsoring us- click here or contact me.

The mission of Children's Hope is something we are both passionate about and actually ties in with our another major event coming up for us in May- a trip to Ethiopia. We are very excited for the opportunity to be able to get back to Africa. For some time now, we have felt led to go back and work with Orphans impacted by HIV/AIDS. The number of orphans in Ethiopia is likely to surpass 5 million by the year 2010. It is estimated that by 2010, 43% of these children will be orphaned as a result of AIDS. Needless to say, it will be a very hard trip, but we know we are being sent for a reason. Please feel free to contact us if you are interested in learning more about how you can support us in regards to this trip.


2 comments:

Audrey said...

Hooray for you and Jon! I love that you're running together, and doing it for a fantastic cause:) It would be so fun to join you, but I don't think this is the year to try to run a race in a different city. Hopefully (I think;) I'll get to do San Francisco the following week!

Stacy, I want you to know that I'll be praying for you and Jon on your upcoming trip to Ethiopia. The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa is devastating and the number of children impacted is tragic. I know you'll be doing God's Work among the children there.

I imagine that being a part of this trip will make your marathon experience all the more powerful. Looking forward to hearing about every part of your journey!

the Ecclestons said...

WOW....it is absolutly amazing to see you all grown up and doing amazing things for others...and for yourself(wow on the marathon you two!!!) It's hard to believe that we've known each other since 6th grade, and I am humbled and blessed to know such an amazing woman now! Good luck on these endevors, our prayers will be with you both!