Friday, November 2, 2007

1 Corinthians Love Test

Love is patient

Love is kind

Love does not envy

Love does not boast

Love is not proud

Love is not rude

Love is not self-seeking

Love is not easily angered

Love keeps no record of wrongs

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth

Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres

Love never fails

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Today I saw this popular bible verse portrayed as a "Love Test". Complete with scoring points. Coincidentally, last night I also had a dream I had married the wrong person. Bear with me as I share this story my brain seemed to conjure up in my sleep: I had married my ex from high school. I was sitting in my parent's house in my bedroom, looking at pictures of our wedding day. I zoomed in to the groom's face and thought- wait a minute, this isn't right, I am not with him, I was not supposed to marry him! In the dream (as dream magic allows..) I threw the picture down and the marriage was over. Then I was left alone. I was disturbed, I knew I was missing something. It was so awful to feel alone and left searching for the right person. As I was sleeping, I wrestled with these thoughts-How do I know who it is, what if I missed my chance, everyone else has this figured out..... I was honestly very distraught. And then I woke up.

I sighed- no wonder why this dream didn't seem right, there is my husband! I snuggled up to him....Where was he in my dream!?!

So I know this sounds wacko. However, it was very refreshing to me in a lot of ways. As soon as I woke up and saw Jonathan, I was at peace. I was able to say, you already went through that silly and there he is!

I remembered the earlier days of our relationship when God gave me feelings of overwhelming assurance that I needed to be with this goofy boy from California. I remembered the many years we walked holding hands while still maintaining great independence.I remembered our genuine commitment to follow God's word and seek his will. I remembered the hours of long conversations, tears, and questioning as we worked together to understand one another as children growing into adulthood. And I remembered the night in South Africa - where we sat in the dark by a lake listening to wild animal noises in the distance. As Jon walked me home that night and tucked me into bed, we looked at each other and both knew- the time for asking questions was over, we were meant to be husband and wife. And FINALLY- of course, the wedding. What an incredible day filled with overwhelming joy and love surrounding us.

Then, this morning, when I saw this "love test" I was reminded again of how blessed I am to have my husband,who demonstrates biblical and real love to me every day.

I know I have no grounds for questioning my marriage, but sometimes God uses funny ways to remind me of that.....

3 comments:

Melissa said...

what a wonderful post, stacy. such beautiful sentiments with such truth behind them. i look to you and jon as great examples of what marriage can and should be like, partly because of how evident God is through you but also because of your honesty in times of challenge and struggle. i'll never forget the day we sat at cafe selmarie and talked after your wedding, just as we did after my own, about new marriage and the adjustments it involves. your candor has made it easier for me to be open and forthright. your friendship has brought me great joy and courage. i love the love you and jon share. love that you respect each other so deeply and give of yourselves so fully - to one other and to those around you. love you, mean it!

Eric Olsen said...

beautifully said.

Audrey said...

it makes me smile to read the words that you've written.

and although i realize that i don't know the two of you well, and have only had a handful of converstations with jon, i'm happy to hear you say that you're so perfect for each other and that the love you share is so beautifully strong.

blessings to both of you.