Saturday, January 31, 2015

Three years ago


Three years ago, our first baby boy was born.  He passed away three days later.  

Three years ago, if you would have told me I would have a healthy 2 year old boy AND be 30 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl..... I would have said, "No Way! " I would have said, "I won't be ready for that!" or, "Well, that would be a miracle!" Here I am.

Take it one step further, now tell me, "And you will be working in a hospital to support parents who are going through the same type of loss."

With each year that passes and we don't have our son Drake, I feel that our story grows bigger and grows stronger.  


Many of you know I was hired by our local hospital a few months ago to provide some extra coverage in their social work/counseling department. Well, I just officially accepted a part-time position to continue my work there. The timing of this blows me away. Why?  Well, it happened a few days before what would have been Drake's 3rd Birthday. I was hired to cover Pediatrics, the NICU, and Mother infant. Here is a part of my job description, word for word:

Provide medical crisis counseling and emotional support to patients, families and staff around psychosocial stressors, adjustment to illness, end-of-life, grief, and bereavement issues. 

I feel God's hand guiding me and using me for His work. I have never felt this with such clarity. Of course he wants me to do this, I have the professional skills, training and I have lived it.

Another area I have been reflecting on is how lucky I am to be alive and healthy. Now that I have had years and distance to separate myself from the immediate experience  of losing Drake, I can reflect on things with even more clarity. One of the things that has hit me recently is how sick I actually I was. I was hospitalized for three weeks for severe preecclampsia. That is serious business! If I had not lived in an area with established high risk medical care, I may have died. Many women around the world still die from preeclampsia. Jon could have lost his wife and his baby. One example, we recently heard a speaker who represents a fabulous program, Covenant Kids Congo. He shared that in the DR Congo, many women and their babies die on a daily basis from Complications of childbirth.

Drake passed away from a heart condition, cardiomyopathy. There are many children and families who are impacted by this condition. If our story moves you, please consider donating to http://www.cardiomyopathy.org or http://www.covchurch.org/covenantkidscongo/

WE are doing very well and we are forever grateful. 
P.S. I have not left my other job. I am still working for Angels Foster Care too!

No comments: